Sunday, September 15, 2013

Time to beat my meat!

You dirty perverts, I was talking about my muscles! It's nearing time to start the marathon training and I tend to have the least stretchy muscle I know of. Tight calves, ham strings, glutes oh my!

Yeah, much like kobe beef, you gotta get those muscles soft. I should know since my calves are tight little bastards and tend to cramp, clench and ball up at will. I wanna cry sometimes but that's for pansies. No..scratch that. If you need to cry then cry it out. I will probably want to ball like a baby when I start running into the ten mile plus range.

Seriously though if you are not foam rolling and working on mobility you should be. I need to take my own damn advice. You may notice that a lot here. I will seem contradictory, conflicted, even confused.  It's my journey though and I'm going to expose my faults and downfalls. 


Foam rolling is aggravating and many times very intense. But it's a necessary evil. There isn't anything difficult about the idea, just grab a roller and start light and work your way into more intense work. A good place to start is by grabbing a yoga mat and laying out the roller such that your palms will rest more comfortably on the mat and your calves and hamstrings can rest on the roller. With small incraments of movement back and fourth. To increase pressure, use the same movements with each leg individually. To get the shins and quads use a similar technique using a plank position.

Don't kill yourself and take it easy when rolling. Aside from positions being a little difficult to hold, you can become a bit compromised under intense rolling. Like anthing else, start light and work your way in. There are a lot of resources on line to get directions on rolling and I advise doing your due dilligence  and find out what works best for you. There are about a hundred or more types of rollers. Later I will try to get a couple more than the standard roller I have and give reviews of those as well. For now, I use a standard roller that you can get at just about any sports isle anywhere.

I tend to dispise fitness sites where everything seems perfect and you should get results in 10 minutes!! It's the get rich quick scheme for fitness. My wife and I know the journey isn't short nor is it easy but it can be less confusing. I love the Keep It Simple Stupid method for everything in life and I plan to keep that going here.

I'm not perfect and I perform at a level so far from perfect that I need to look at webster's for a proper definition. I'll give you everything that I give myself. This is somewhat my personal therapy for getting out the things I have issues with and try to take the steps to be better.

Did you think this was another fitness site? Nope, not really, just some insight from my journey through different challenges leading up to some of my first major goals and beyond. Through my mistakes and triumphs I hope to help others with understanding their goals and challenges. If anything I hope this becomes a hilarious journey through my relationship with fitness and wellness. If that's all my readers get is a laugh, then I've done my job. 


So sit back, relax and enjoy the rest of Dropping Plates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment