Tuesday, September 17, 2013

First Run In The Books

Well it may have only been a couple months since my last run but it felt nearly like a couple of years! Typically I get the ole concrete feet but today it was just a stiff but semi promising run. Since I'm not a distance runner by nature, a 3 mile entry run is not on my list of happy things to do.

I really wanted to be pissed at my run and with myself for having such a shi#&y run but I wasn't. My loan goal was just to make it without stopping. I started at a slow pace and I sure as hell ended on one. I've run before and I'll be running again so understanding exactly where I sit on even my own scale is pretty low. I at least have a sense of my performance in which to guage. I've run high six minute miles and I've run about what I did today. 3 miles at 12:35 minute miles. Now I won't even discount myself for stopping to wait for traffic. I was slow and I know it. I was at mall power walking pace and I was still pretty damn proud just to be back out there.

With all that said I was ready to get the damn thing started no matter how big a procrastinator I am. I'm currently trying a new running app from Nike and my wife will be using Run Tracker. I don't know that I have a preference but I do really like the Nike interface.

I don't wear Nike shoes though. I do believe in being fitted and researching the shoes I buy. Through all my years running, my best shoes have always been Asics. They are my personal favorite and they make a great performing and fitting neutral shoe for my gigantasaurus-Rex sized feet but its whatever when it comes to the shoes other people buy, I only care about what goes on my feet. Find a great place to buy a pair of running shoes and make your salesperson work for it because they should be there to trully find a shoe that works for you.

The Army didn't know a damn thing about my feet and I was just lucky I had actually been running in a very good pair of shoes before I got there. Coincidentally they sold at the PX.

Anyway, this post got long and I just wanna get some sleep. Time to rest, hydrate and eat. I need to remember those because that's something else I should constantly cover.

Today's mental state? Pretty Good
Physical state? A little tired for such a short run. Keep stretching and rollin'. I'm gonna need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment